Monday, February 13, 2012

Heart Impact by Sherry Surratt, CEO and President of MOPS International


I love Valentine's Day. It always causes me to remember the past, even as I celebrate the present with hearts, cards and just the right amount of chocolate. I remember the day I met Geoff, my husband of almost 30 years. I remember the days each of my two kids were born and how I fell in love from the first moment I laid eyes on them. Valentine’s Day also causes my heart to be full as I think about how much I love having each of them in my life.

This February my heart is definitely full as I contemplate the changes in my life over the past six weeks. My husband and I packed up our house in California and moved to Denver, and I started my dream job as CEO and President of MOPS International. The move has been filled with challenges and changes, some of them small, such as finding a new favorite grocery store and the right salon that understands my contrary hair. But others have been hugely profound as I have learned firsthand the heart impact of MOPS for thousands of moms around the country.

Today my heart is full for you too – I am so glad that you have found a MOPS community and have connected with a local group of moms who can encourage you and equip you for mothering.

I  have also realized in moving to a new place, there can be lonely moments, times when I miss friends and family I’ve left behind. And from the stories I hear at MOPS, I know I’m not the only one who might feel lonely sometimes. I know that every mom needs a friend, and that MOPS is the best way for her to find that lasting friendship. That’s why I am so passionate about the ministry of MOPS and so excited to be a part of this organization.

So if you find yourself in a moment of loneliness, take a risk and text a mom in your Discussion Group at MOPS and invite her to share a cup of coffee. And if you aren’t lonely, look around and see if there’s someone else who might be and invite her to your MOPS group. In addition to sharing some glittery cards or paper hearts with family and friends this Valentine’s Day, take time to share YOUR heart with another mom.
Do you have some great ideas for ways that MOPS can connect with more moms? I’d love to hear from you!  Email me at Sherry@MOPS.org. 

Dear God, thank you for the gift of relationships – open my heart to those I love and those I will come to love.

No comments:

Post a Comment