Monday, January 30, 2012

My Glass Is Half-Full by Carla Foote, mom of two

I have to confess that I’ve been a little whiney lately. Not something I’m proud of. Maybe it started last month when I had the refrigerator repairman out a second time so we could have water and ice cubes dispense from the fridge rather than just a drippy puddle on the wood floors from somewhere under the fridge. Or maybe it was the fact that last weekend when I pushed the button to start the clothes dryer, nothing happened.  Or that I went to the ATM for some cash over the weekend, and my card didn’t work!

As I listened to myself, I heard way too much whining over these small inconveniences and decided to shift my thinking to the positive:

I have a refrigerator, a freezer, a water and ice dispenser, and my water is clean enough to drink. My house has reliable electric power, so I can run my appliances. I have milk, eggs, apples and ice cream and all sorts of food. I am grateful.
 
"My attitude is something
that I can choose."

I have a washer and a dryer. I don’t have to wash my clothes in a river and drape them over bushes to let them dry. And I have lots and lots of clothes. Not to mention a husband who dismantled the dryer, put some W-D 40 on the dryer engine and fixed it. I am grateful.


I have enough money for groceries, gas and so much more. I am grateful.


My attitude is something that I can choose. Some days I make better choices than other days. But more and more, I want to choose gratefulness. 


Dear God, thank you for giving me all that you have. Grant me your perspective, that I might maintain an attitude of gratefulness regardless of my circumstances. Amen. 


No comments:

Post a Comment