Monday, January 16, 2012

My Daily Juggling Act By Sarah Jio, mother of three

As an author of soon-to-be four novels and mom to three boys, my life is pretty full. Full of chores, tasks, activities, and “To Do” lists. People often ask me how I manage to write books while tending to my very active kids, and as I glance around my office and see the Legos scattered beneath my desk and a sippy cup next to my keyboard, I'm reminded of what a juggling act my life is. I'm devoted to being the best mom and the best writer I can be, but there are certainly days the two don’t mix.
"My attitude is that this
is my season to be a mom."

Just last week, my three-year-old threw one tantrum after the next, my five-year-old spilled a container of yogurt all over the rug (it was an epic spill), and my baby excelled in his role as Mr. Fussypants Extraordinaire (teething). Needless to say, I didn't write a single word that day. Before I had kids, I used to write in big stretches of time. I'd have all-day writing marathons on Saturdays, and log eight, or even ten, glorious hours at my desk. Nowadays, I'm lucky to get a full hour of uninterrupted writing time.

But I’m learning that’s okay. My attitude is that this is my season to be a mom. I doubt I’ll ever look back and say, "I wish I'd written that book faster." But I bet I will wish I'd taken them to the park more when they asked to go. I try to keep this all in mind when I feel discouraged or frustrated, and it always helps. True, my life does require a lot of juggling, but it’s mine, and I cherish it.

Dear God, thank you for creating me for all my important jobs. Grant me the strength and wisdom to do each with grace. Amen.


Sarah Jio is the author of four novels, including The Violets of March, and The Bungalow. To learn more about her and her novels, visit www.sarahjio.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment