Thursday, November 10, 2011

Mom E-Mail - Honorng the Fallen

Honoring the Fallen
By Melodi Leih, MOPS Regional Developer 
 

When my son Mason was five, my family made a trip to Cabrillo National Monument, a lighthouse on a point overlooking the Pacific Ocean. Along our way, we passed a military cemetery. Mason noticed the headstones and asked, “Mommy, what are all those white things?” Sensing a learning opportunity, we decided to stop and let him ask questions, look around and discover what was there. He led the way and stopped in front of one of the headstones with an American flag on the top. He asked several questions about our country, wondering why the soldiers had died.


 
"Our family circled around
the headstone and prayed
for the man’s family."


After several minutes, Mason put his hand on his heart and began to sing the Star Spangled Banner at the top of his little lungs, saluting at the finish. Moved to tears at the tenderness in his heart, I resolved to take every opportunity to talk to my kids about the freedoms we enjoy as Americans and those who have given their lives to protect those freedoms. Our family circled around the headstone and prayed for the man’s family and gave thanks for his life before continuing our journey.

I am so glad we took the time to stop and let Mason explore that day. For his sake, yes, but also for my own. I rediscovered my passion for praying for and thanking members of the armed services for my freedom. Experiencing it with Mason allowed me to see it through new eyes, and for that I am grateful.




Dear God, thank you for the men and women who serve our country in the armed forces. Protect them in their service, and support the families they leave at home. Help me never fail to honor their sacrifice.

No comments:

Post a Comment