Wednesday, December 21, 2011

He’s in the Room By Katie Kenny Phillips, MOPS coordinator and mom of three

“This is how much God loved the world: He gave his Son, his one and only Son. And this is why: so that no one need be destroyed; by believing in him, anyone can have a whole and lasting life.” (The Message). 
I wasn’t focused on much other than checking our middle son into Children’s Hospital. His lung function was bad, he had been sick for two weeks, and I was glad to be in a place where the professionals could take over my heavy burden.
 
"I’m convinced it’s times
like these that God holds me close,
opens my eyes a little wider."

They were hooking Luke up to an IV and getting him x-rayed when they told us what room we’d be in — Room 316.  My husband looked at me and said, “That’s significant, don’t you think?” 316. John 3:16. “Yeah,” I smiled. It never hurts to have the most popular Bible verse of all time as your room number.


When I stood outside Luke’s room one night, I could only pray, “God, my son is in that room.” God brought me back to 3:16, whispering, “Yes, I know. My Son is in that room too.”

I’m convinced it’s times like these that God holds me close, opens my eyes a little wider. He fills my heart with moments that make my spiritual bones stronger and less likely to fracture under the burdens of this life. Amongst many other things that happened during that time in the hospital, God made sure to put us in 316 for a reason. He wanted me to know he was most definitely in the room. 


Dear God, I love how you never leave me. Open my eyes this holy season to you very real presence in my daily life. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment