Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Life In Abundance ByTally Flint

Life is full. Full of joy, chaos, stress and lots of ups and downs. I try my darndest to make dinners with the family meaningful and peace-giving. But honestly, at this stage in my life, that rarely happens. But it has happened at least once. One night a few years ago, I remember taking turns answering the question “What would you like to change about yourself to become more like Jesus?” My four-year-old said he could work to have a better attitude (a concept we often use in our discipline with the kids). I wanted greater patience and an ability to remain calm when interacting with the kids. My husband repeated my plea for patience. It only takes a look at our combined responses to get a glimpse of where we were as a family that year. 

If I’ve learned one thing from muddling my way through all of life’s ups and downs, it’s this: God’s grace is abundant. And do I ever need it! I view this season of my mothering journey as a truly intense one. And like all such seasons, I’ve been stretched to my limits, come face-to-face with my own weaknesses and failings and discovered as a result that I’m stronger than I was when I began. I’ve experienced supreme joy, extreme frustration, and yes, even that elusive peace – the peace of stepping back, trusting in God’s promises.


Dear God, thank you for all the noise, energy, and joy that my life brings. Help me to honor that gift with a heart that loves without expectation and a peace that goes deep. 

No comments:

Post a Comment